can you put plywood over existing deck

EPDM Roofing Installation & FAQ - Just Liners

EPDM should be bonded over 5/8" plywood, 5/8" OSB board, You can install EPDM membrane over an existing roof only if a new layer of 5/8" plywood, 5/8"

Over-roofing – Don't Do Stupid Things Building Science

Aug 12, 2012 It was time to over-roof and do what I planned originally before I ran out of Got two bedrooms and a bathroom, a place to store old ASHRAE . off of a new layer of roof plywood roof sheathing cantilevered over the top of the

roofing - Should new plywood be installed over old separating

This will ensure that the strength of the plywood is enough to bridge spots on the roof where the old plywood was weakened to the point that it

Plywood Over Solid Wood Sheathing: Do You Need It? - Wilmington

Whenever your roof was first installed, the nails were put into the solid wood. Lumber wasn't kiln dried, so it would shrink upon drying. With shrinkage of 5-10

code compliance - Can you skin over an existing roof deck that is

You could put the OSB overtop but by the time, you clean that I had a 60's house that also had 3/8" plywood as roof decking it was okay

Reroofing Over Asphalt Shingles - HomeAdvisor Pro

If the roof is, say, eight years old, it probably just needs a repair. We will, however, lay plywood over air conditioning units and over any flat stepping stones

When to cover over or pull off shingles Remodeling Roofing

Jul 9, 2003 Tearing off the old shingles can add anywhere from a few hours to a day to a roofing job. It area is to roof over one layer of shingles and tear off if there are two layers. That will vary, depending on whether the sheathing is plywood or Under those circumstances, he prefers to use architectural shingles,

Can you Build a Deck over a Wood Deck?

Sep 4, 2016 Learn how you can build a over a Wood Deck. remove the old deck surface planks, and install over the substructure.

Plywood Decking: A Good Alternative? DoItYourself.com

If you're wondering if plywood will work for your new deck, you've found the answer. Plywood decking is essentially thin sheets of wood glued together to make a Keep in mind that plywood decking is very flat, and there is no place for

Roofing Over Existing Shingles Better Homes & Gardens

You might be able to lay new shingles over existing shingles and avoid the cost of (WSU) over the existing shingles at the eave end, as would be done for a roof laid Beveled wood pieces called "horse feathers" must be laid along the thick

How To Replace Shingles And Roofing Plywood RoofCalc.org

Oct 18, 2017 This post will discuss how to install shingles on a roof correctly, One such dangerous way is to shingle over an existing roof, instead of tearing

Re-roofing over existing roof - SERVING BREVARD AND INDIAN

That said why would one want to re-roof over a roof that has reach its life expectancy. Under the shingles there is an underlayment (usually 30# felt paper) put down When the roof start to leak they tend to rot the wood trusses and wood

lying woo deck boards over plywood - Sun Tower

Fitting hard wood covering boards around the edge of a boat deck and a As a rule they lie on What Kind of Covering Can You Put Over a Wood Subfloor on an.

Rebuild An Old Deck With New Decking And Railings Family

The nice thing about deck work is that you can pick away at it over time . Manufactured decking isn't nearly as rigid as wood, so before you lay down the new

Roof Sheathing - Forum - Bob Vila

Jul 5, 2004 As long as the new plywood itself can span the distance and carry the roof, It is relatively common practice to lay new sheathing over old, but I

Converting the floor of a deck-turned-Florida-room (subfloor, roof

Because it has the wood plank deck-type floor, we get bugs in through the cracks. I'm assuming I would need to remove the existing deck planks and put The easiest thing is a plywood subfloor over the present decking

Beware what lies beneath the roof Remodeling Roofing

Nov 2, 2005 If nailed above it, the nails may miss the underlying shingle, risking that Many code jurisdictions allow for re-roofing over as many as two existing roof layers. even a third layer of 300-pound-per-square shingles can put on a roof. On older homes, planks were often spaced for wood or slate roofs with

Do I need to put ply over shiplap before installing - This Old House

Apr 23, 2016 So, recently I was told by one of the many sales associates providing an estimate that I will need to have the existing shiplap roof boards

How to Install New Sheathing Over Old Spaced Sheathing for Re

Jul 14, 2016 How to Install New Sheathing Over Old Spaced Sheathing for Re-roof roof sheathing like plywood or oriented strand board over spaced one

Seattle Roofing: Why do we need plywood over our old solid

Seattle Roofing: Why do we need plywood over our old solid sheathing? to use shiplap, 1″ boards, tongue & groove, or other boards for the roof deck.

Putting plywood over plank decks - The WoodenBoat Forum

Mar 17, 2011 It is currently traditionally caulked 1-1/2" fir planks over beams. If you do decide to ply and Dynel the deck I would recommend for sure . I'd wood out suspect areas as soon as the sun comes out,and look for wet wood!

FAQ Page for Econodek Vinyl Deck Covering

Can I install Econodek vinyl over a previously coated or painted plywood deck No – We do not recommend installing over an existing deck coating due to

Plywood Roof Sheathing Don't put new roof sheathing over old

Aug 26, 2001 Although I don't think installing new plywood roof sheathing over the old would be a grave mistake, I would not recommend doing it, for several

What to Consider When Adding a Roof to a Deck or Patio Today's

The best way to cover a deck or patio is by building a permanent roof over it While it may be more expensive than a temporary cover or awning, a roof will last

Hillside Roofing Gallery Quality Roofing

Over time the wood dries out, splits and cracks form, knots fall out and the boards warp The sure-fire fix is to simply install CDX plywood over the original plank roof One of the little things we do to try to make the inconvenience of re-roofing

Hurricane Retrofit Guide - What To Do When Re-Roofing

Besides giving you more confidence that the shingles will seal properly (wind rated a flat roof deck; not over the bumpy surface of an existing layer of shingles) and that you will For wood plank decks, the existing nailing has generally proven to be adequate (If at The plywood was probably initially nailed in place in the

All New Roofing Plywood over Furring Strips in Willimantic, CT

Mar 2, 2017 So instead of re-shingling over the roof, we tore off the old roof and installed 1/2" CDX The plywood does not add a lot of weight to the roof.